Hello everyone, this is Dr. Steven Chander, I wanted to wish you all a very happy independence day, and remind all of you of the some important safety tips for celebrating July 4th.
It’s estimated that over six thousand injuries will be treated this year during this month alone because of fire works.
About 1500 of these will be eye related injuries from firecrackers, sparklers and roman candles
Males have traditionally suffered three times more than females
Majority of these injuries were children under the age of 15
Here are some tips for a safer 4th:
1. DO NOT PURCHASE USE OR STORE FIREWORKS OF ANY TYPE….AVOID THEM…MANY THINK I’M JOKING, BUT IN SERIOUSNESS, IT IS BEST TO ATTEND AUTHRORIZED PUBLIC FIREWORK DISPLAYS. CONTACT YOUR LOCAL COMMUNITY CENTER TO FIND OUT WHERE. 2. IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE HANDLING SPARKLERS OR ANY OTHER FIRE WORKS, BE SURE TO WHERE SAFETY GLASSES WITH A SIDE SHIELD, AND SHATTER PROOF LENS PROTECTION 3. IF AN ACCIDENT OCCURS:
- Do not rub the eye. Rubbing the eye may increase bleeding or make the injury worse.
- Do not attempt to rinse out the eye. This can be even more damaging than rubbing.
- Do not apply pressure to the eye itself. Holding or taping a foam cup or the bottom of a juice carton to the eye are just two tips. Protecting the eye from further contact with any item, including the child's hand, is the goal.
- Do not stop for medicine! Over-the-counter pain relievers will not do much to relieve pain. Aspirin (should never be given to children) and ibuprofen can thin the blood, increasing bleeding. Take the child to the emergency room at once - this is more important than stopping for a pain reliever.
- Do not apply ointment. Ointment, which may not be sterile, makes the area around the eye slippery and harder for the doctor to examine.
- Do not let your child play with fireworks, even if his/her friends are setting them off. Sparklers burn at 1800 degrees Farenheit, and bottle rockets can stray off course or throw shrapnel when they explode.
My personal cell number is 630-712-3897 hopefully your will not need it but as always, I’m available 24-7-365
Enjoy be safe, and I’ll see you soon!